Tampa Doctor Error Lawyer
Medical mistakes are made more often than most people realize. These errors can lead to serious injury, delayed treatment, and prolonged illness for patients that otherwise would have had much more desirable outcomes if they had been in better hands. The Tampa doctor error lawyers at Freidin Brown, P.A. specialize in helping victims of medical malpractice, and have been advocating for our patients’ best interests for more than 45 years.
The Seven Most Common Types of Doctor Errors
- Diagnostic errors—Failure to diagnose, late diagnosis, and diagnosing a patient with an illness or injury they do not have can all lead to serious injuries or illnesses. Examples include failing to order tests, failing to address a patient’s symptoms or complaints, and delayed diagnosis of cancer due to improper screening.
- Medication errors—One of the most common medical errors is prescribing a patient with the wrong medication or mix of medications, or the wrong dose. Certain medications cannot be taken together, and it is the doctor’s responsibility to know this. Medication errors can stem from poor communication with the patient, nursing or pharmaceutical errors, or simply a doctor’s failing abilities.
- Surgical errors—There is always a certain amount of risk that comes with surgery. However, surgeons have a medical standard of care they need to uphold. Examples of common surgical errors include leaving surgical equipment inside the patient, making an incision in the wrong location, nerve damage, and even operating on the wrong body part.
- Anesthesia errors—Anesthetizing a patient is required during surgery and certain other invasive procedures. Providing the wrong dose of medication, failure to monitor the patient, and other anesthesia errors can lead to serious injury or death.
- Delay in treatment—Even if a doctor makes an accurate diagnosis, a failure in providing immediate treatment to various conditions can lead to serious illness or death.
- Improper follow up treatment—It is the doctor and medical team’s duty to continue to provide treatment and monitor their patients in the hours, days, weeks, or months following a surgery or other medical procedure, as complications can arise during the patient’s recovery that may require swift intervention.
- Birth injury errors—Babies and mothers alike often sustain preventable injuries during delivery, such as forceps lacerations and brachial palsy.
Damages in a Doctor Error Malpractice Claim
Medical malpractice damages caused by a doctor’s error may include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity due to disability
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of joy of life
And in the case of a wrongful death:
- Lost lifetime earnings
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
Call a Tampa Doctor Error Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one were harmed due to medical negligence from a doctor’s error, we urge you to explore your options for compensation, which can help pay for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. To get started today, contact our Tampa doctor error lawyer at Freidin Brown, P.A. at 888-677-7764 to schedule a free consultation.