Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Mom Sues Monster Energy Drink Over Son’s Death

A mother, whose teenage son died from cardiac arrhythmia last year is blaming, is suing Monster Beverage Corp, alleging that his death was caused by drinking the company’s energy drink.

On July 1, 2012, Alex Morris went into cardiac arrest and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was 19.

The lawsuit states that Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster’s energy drink every day for the three years before his death, including the day he died.

This is not the first lawsuit against Monster. Last year, the family of 14-year old Anais Fournier sued the company after she drank two cans of Monster and died.

The energy drink company said in regards to Fournier’s case that no blood test was performed to confirm that girl died of “caffeine toxicity,” believing the girl died of natural causes brought on by a pre-existing condition.

Energy drinks have been under intense scrutiny recently. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of deaths links to energy drinks, including five that cite Monster drinks.

Monster is also facing another lawsuit by an lawyer who claims its marketing is directed to children, despite the severe health risks associated with the product.

Energy drinks are the fastest-growing type of soft drink in the United States, with sales expected to exceed $10 billion in 2012.

In 2009, more than 13,000 emergency room visits were associated with energy drinks alone.

For more information, please contact our product liability lawyers.

Source: The Boston Globe, “Mom Sues Monster for teen’s death,” June 27, 2013

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn