Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

FDBR Health Updates: Breaking News

Every day, new advances are made in medicine and science and it can be hard to keep up. Our firm is committed to keeping our clients and the general public informed as to new and important developments in the health field. On a regular basis we will post new findings. We hope you will find them informative.

Posted early January 2014:

  • Beginning Jan. 1, Medicare will increase its coverage of mental health services from only 50. Seniors who seek psychological treatment will only be responsible for 20 percent, while Medicare covers the other 80 percent. This increase was due to the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act. (NY Times)

  • A new study reveals that Vitamin E slows decline of some Alzheimer’s patients (NY Times)

  • Ski helmet use is not reducing brain injuries, (NY Times)

  • A pregnant nurse was fired for refusing to get a flu shot out of fear of a miscarriage.The CDC recommends that pregnant women, people younger than 5 and older than 65, and people with asthma, diabetes and chronic lung disease get the flu shot annually. (CNN)

  • The mother of Jovan Belcher, the NFL player who murdered his girlfriend and then himself a year ago, is suing the Kansas City Chiefs for wrongful death. She is claiming the organization was negligent in maintaining a safe work environment and hid the impact of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from the player and wrongfully contributed to his death. FDBR has handled a number of cases involving unsafe work environments. (Bleacher Report)

  • Many former and current smokers should undergo annual CT scans to screen for lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S., a medical panel said. Cigarette smoking is linked to more than 440,000 deaths annually in the United States alone. (Wall Street Journal)

  • A new study has found that Florida,the state with the second highest rate of melanoma in the country, has more tanning salons than McDonalds. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, and FDBR cautions its readers to be careful with tanning salons. (The Florida Herald)

For more information about our firm, check out our website: www. freidindobrinsky.com

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn