St. Petersburg Medication Error Lawyer
Medications are among the most powerful forms of medical care for treatment, disease prevention, alleviating discomfort, and many other purposes. As such, you can probably guess the implications for the patient when a Florida health care provider commits medication errors. Though you do have legal remedies under state medical malpractice laws, these cases are complicated because of the long journey of medication administration.
Our attorneys at Freidin Brown, P.A. are prepared for challenges with medication errors claims, as med mal is our primary focus. We have in-depth knowledge and extensive experience, so please contact us to learn more about our legal services. You can set up a free consultation with a St. Petersburg medication error lawyer, and some basic information about your rights is useful.
How Medication Mistakes Happen
In general, these errors occur because a health care provider deviated from the relevant standard of care. However, there are some specific reasons behind them:
- When they fail to carefully review a patient’s chart and medical history, a physician may miss allergies or the potential for drug interactions
- Doctors may misuse computerized physician order entry (CPOE) systems
- Numerous drugs have similar names or spellings, leading to confusion when filling the prescription
- Some medication errors are the result of mistakes with documentation, leading to inaccuracies with medical records
Examples of Medication Errors
The above scenarios are indicative of negligence and breach of the standard of care. Misconduct violates what the medical community has come to refer to as the patient “rights” with medication administration. They include ensuring:
- The right person, which could be an issue with patient charts and documentation
- The right medication, a factor that involves the provider’s decision making in ordering the drug
- The right dose with medications where a lighter or stronger effect is needed for intended results
- The right time, especially with administration of medications for anesthesia
- The right route, such as orally, via an injection into blood vessels, subcutaneous, or some other appropriate method
Legal Process for Recovering Compensation
You may be entitled to various monetary damages if you suffered harm through a medication error, including medical costs, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. These cases often settle via an agreement with the provider’s med mal insurance company, and you can count on our St. Petersburg medication error attorneys to ensure you receive fair compensation.
If the insurer refuses to settle, Freidin Brown, P.A. will take your case to court. We are adept at developing solid legal strategies, working with medical experts, and other litigation tasks. At trial, we will present evidence and arguments to support your position.
Speak to a St. Petersburg Medication Error Lawyer About Options
An overview of the legal process is useful, but you will need skilled legal counsel to pursue your remedies in a med mal case. At Freidin Brown, P.A., our team is committed to assisting injured victims and helping them obtain fair monetary damages. Please contact us to schedule a complimentary case evaluation with a St. Petersburg medication error lawyer. We can advise you on remedies after reviewing your case.