Jacksonville Misdiagnosis Lawyer
Of all the different types of medical malpractice that cause people harm, misdiagnosis is one of the most common. A misdiagnosis will prevent patients from receiving the treatment they need for the condition they are suffering from. If the patient receives treatment or is prescribed medication for the wrong condition, it can also cause them to suffer further harm. If you have become sicker or have sustained an injury due to medical negligence, our Jacksonville misdiagnosis lawyer can help you file a claim against the liable party so you receive the monetary compensation you deserve.
What is a Misdiagnosis?
Doctors have a very high duty of care to the patients they treat. Doctors must ensure they provide the acceptable standard of care and when they do not, they are considered negligent. When diagnosing a patient, doctors must follow proper diagnostic procedures, eliminate the possibility of certain conditions, and identify the illness or condition a patient is suffering from. Any time a doctor does not provide the proper standard of care, patients can become seriously hurt. In some cases, a misdiagnosis is life-threatening. Doctors may make a misdiagnosis in a number of ways, but the most common include:
- Incorrect diagnosis: An incorrect diagnosis occurs when a patient is showing signs of one condition, but the doctor diagnoses them with another illness they are not suffering from. In these cases, the patient may receive treatment for a condition they are not afflicted with, while not receiving treatment that could make them better.
- Failure to diagnose: When a doctor does not provide any diagnosis at all, it is a failure to diagnose. For example, a patient may visit a hospital due to chest pain. The doctor tells them there is nothing wrong and sends them home, where the patient suffers a fatal heart attack.
- Delayed diagnosis: For patients suffering from medical conditions, every minute counts. If a doctor does not make a diagnosis in a timely manner, or they fail to act quickly enough, patients can become hurt.
What Causes a Misdiagnosis?
The majority of misdiagnoses are caused by medical negligence, or carelessness. Some of the most common causes of misdiagnoses include:
- Failing to order appropriate medical tests
- Interpreting medical charts and tests improperly
- Failing to interpret scans and tests, such as X-rays, properly
- Failing to perform an in-depth initial physical exam
- Failing to properly communicate with patients about potential diagnoses, symptoms, and available treatment options
- Failing to follow up with a patient regarding their symptoms
- Lack of communication between the different healthcare providers for the patient
Call Our Misdiagnosis Lawyer in Jacksonville Today
If you or someone you love has been harmed by a doctor’s negligence, our Jacksonville misdiagnosis lawyer at Freidin Brown, P.A. can help with your case. Our skilled attorneys know the harm caused by a misdiagnosis, and we are dedicated to helping patients make things right. We can help you, too. Call us now at 866-511-3321 or contact us online to schedule a free review of your case.