Fort Myers Preventable Suicide Lawyer
It is disturbing to know that someone takes their own life once every 11 minutes in the US, but it is even more shocking to learn that many more have seriously thought about, planned an attempt, or actually attempted suicide. Entire families suffer the consequences, including the financial and emotional tolls with their loved one gone. Still, these tragedies are preventable and only occur because of negligence. As such, you may have rights under Florida medical malpractice laws.
Our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. is knowledgeable about preventable suicide claims and the relevant legal concepts. We also have extensive experience holding negligent health care providers accountable for misconduct, as med mal cases are our firm’s core practice area. Please contact us to set up a no-cost case assessment with a Fort Myers preventable suicide lawyer who can explain the details. You might also find it useful to review some background information about liability and the legal process.
How Preventable Suicide May Constitute Medical Malpractice
Florida’s statute defines medical negligence as a breach of the prevailing professional standard of care for that health care provider. The applicable standard is the level of care, skill, and treatment that another practitioner would consider acceptable and appropriate under the circumstances. In a med mal case based upon the failure to prevent suicide, you must prove:
- Your loved one was receiving care from a psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health professional, or other health care provider
- The physician failed to take proper precautions to prevent suicide, knowing that the person was at risk of taking his or her life
- You suffered losses because of your loved one’s passing
Legal Help for Preventable Suicide Claims
Though the legal basis of these cases is negligence, the remedy for surviving family members is a wrongful death case. This does not change the elements you need to prove, but you must have standing as a surviving spouse, child, or other relative. Compensation in wrongful death claims includes funeral costs and losses of consortium, education, guidance, training, support, and other contributions the deceased would have provided.
Our Fort Myers preventable suicides attorneys at Freidin Brown, P.A. will fight to get the monetary damages you deserve by law. We are ready to:
- Handle all pre-suit requirements for a med mal case, including conducting an investigation and obtaining the written opinion of a medical expert
- File a claim with the physician’s med mal insurer and attempt to work out a settlement
- Pursue a lawsuit in court and tackle all litigation tasks, such as filing the complaint, working out discovery, taking depositions, and advocating on your behalf at trial
Discuss Your Remedies with a Fort Myers Preventable Suicide Lawyer
It is helpful to understand the basics about failure to prevent suicide claims, but you will need skilled legal assistance in a real-life case. To learn how our team supports clients in these cases, please contact Freidin Brown, P.A. to schedule a free consultation. After reviewing your circumstances, a Fort Myers preventable suicide attorney can provide additional details on the process.