Fort Myers Medication Error Lawyer
While the specific percentages vary by age group, estimates indicate that around two-thirds of all adults in the US took at least one medication in the last 30 days. When you consider that there are around 20,000 prescription and upwards of 300,000 over-the-counter drugs on the market, you can see the challenges health care providers, facilities, and pharmacies face with getting things right. However, medication errors are unacceptable and preventable. They can cause serious patient harm, so it is a comfort to know that Florida medical malpractice laws apply.
Though you may have rights after suffering injuries from a medication mistake, it is an uphill battle for getting the compensation you deserve. The legal requirements are strict, so allow our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. to shoulder the burden. Please contact us to schedule a no-cost case evaluation with a Fort Myers medication error lawyer today. An overview of the laws is also helpful.
How Medication Mistakes Happen
The underlying reason behind errors with prescription and over-the-counter drugs is negligence, which has a very specific meaning under Florida med mal laws. A health care provider may be negligent by acting in a way that violates the prevailing professional standard of care. The standard refers to what would be viewed as acceptable and appropriate by other practitioners under the same circumstances.
In the case of medication errors, a health care provider may be negligent by:
- Committing errors with ordering or prescribing medications, including wrong drug and wrong dosage
- Mistakes with documenting, such as for allergies and potential drug interactions
- Inaccurate prescription order transcription
- Mistakes with dispensing and preparing the medication, including incorrect dose, quantity, strength
- Failure to communicate with the patient and provide appropriate instruction for at-home administration
- Improper route of administration
Challenges in the Legal Process
If you have sufficient evidence and follow the legal requirements, you may recover monetary damages for your medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and many other losses. However, there are pitfalls that can affect your rights. Our Fort Myers medication error attorneys at Freidin Brown, P.A. will develop a strategy that addresses:
- Statutory pre-suit requirements, which requires a thorough investigation to prove that there are grounds for a claim
- Working with medical experts for the pre-suit investigation, consultation, and testifying
- How multiple parties played a role in the medication error, including a physician, health care facility, nurse, pharmacist, and others
- Dealing with a med mal insurance company and attempting to work out settlement
If the insurance company refuses to pay fair compensation for your losses, we will file a lawsuit in court.
Overcome Challenges with Help from a Fort Myers Medication Error Lawyer
Prescription and over-the-counter drugs are powerful health care remedies, which means they can cause serious patient harm in the presence of mistakes. If you suffered injuries, our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. can assist with pursuing all potential parties. Please contact our firm today to set up a free consultation with a Fort Myers medication error attorney. We can provide additional details after reviewing your situation.