Fort Myers Doctor Error Lawyer
Physicians go through years of medical school, residency, and additional education in specialty areas, all with a dedication to providing quality patient care. Despite their extensive training, some practitioners commit harmful doctor errors. These mistakes can lead to death, permanent disability, and other harm, so it is reassuring to know that Florida medical malpractice laws apply. In short, you must prove that the doctor’s error represents a deviation from the standard of care and was the direct cause of your injuries.
Still, this short description of med mal liability belies the complicated legal process for recovering compensation. Our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. is prepared for challenges, and we have the experience and knowledge to fight for your rights. Please contact our firm to schedule a complimentary case review with a Fort Myers doctor error lawyer who can provide personalized advice. You may also benefit from reviewing some background information about the relevant legal concepts.
Common Mistakes by Physicians
The standard of care that applies to doctors requires them to provide treatment in accordance with what is considered reasonable and appropriate by another physician in the same field, under similar circumstances. When they depart from this standard, health care practitioners may cause:
- Misdiagnosis, including a wrong or delayed diagnosis
- Anesthesia errors, usually by providing too much or too little of the medication
- Surgical mistakes, such as leaving a foreign object inside the patient, operating on the wrong person or body part, or slicing into adjacent tissues and organs during the procedure
- Birth injuries to the fetus or mother
- Medication errors, including problems with dose, route, or timing
- Sepsis, septic shock, and other forms of health care acquired infection (HAI)
- Preventable suicide, when the doctor knew or should know of the signs and did not take proper action
Liability for Doctor Errors
The first step in the legal process involves a thorough investigation, as well as working with a medical expert to assess grounds for a med mal claim. It may be possible to settle your case, but you will need to file a lawsuit in court if you receive a lowball counteroffer. Our Fort Myers doctor error attorneys at Freidin Brown, P.A. are aggressive in settlement negotiations, and we are ready to sue to get fair compensation. You may be entitled to amounts for:
- Your medical expenses to treat and/or correct your injuries
- Lost income, if you were unable to work because of a doctor error
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
When physician mistakes lead to a fatality, surviving family members may be able to recover for lost consortium, education, guidance, and support that the decedent would have provided.
You Can Rely on a Fort Myers Doctor Error Lawyer for Legal Help
As you can see from this overview, there can be challenges proving liability when a physician makes a mistake in providing care. Instead of putting your rights at risk, trust our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. to tackle the important legal tasks. Please contact our firm today to set up a free consultation with a knowledgeable Fort Myers doctor error attorney.