Fort Myers Anesthesia Error Lawyer
Anesthesia is often described as one of the most useful advancements in the history of medicine, enabling physicians to perform procedures that would otherwise be far too excruciating for a patient to bear. These medications help people lead longer, healthier lives that would not be possible without surgery. However, knowing that the point of anesthesia is to render someone unconscious or numb parts of the body, you can see the risks involved when a health care provider makes a mistake. Serious injuries, life-threatening medical conditions, and even death can occur from anesthesia errors.
Fortunately, Florida medical malpractice laws provide you with options if you were hurt because of mistakes in administering anesthesia. Our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. is prepared to support your needs and get the compensation you deserve, so please contact us to learn more. We can set up a complimentary consultation with a Fort Myers anesthesia error lawyer, and some general information is useful.
Liability for Anesthesia Mistakes
Negligence has a specific meaning in the practice of law and an even more detailed definition under medical malpractice laws. The statute requires the claimant to prove that the health care provider breached the prevailing professional standard of care, which is the level of skill and knowledge that a reasonably careful practitioner would apply under the same circumstances. For example, an anesthesiologist may be negligence by:
- Providing too much of the medication for the patient’s weight, causing anesthesia overdose
- Administering too little of the medication, leading to anesthesia awareness
- Delivering the wrong type of medication
- Failing to recognize and prevent drug interactions between the anesthesia and other medications
- Neglecting to monitor the patient’s condition and vital signs
- Not providing the patient with proper instructions before the procedure, particularly with respect to eating
- Administering a medication when the patient is allergic
Legal Options for Patients
Florida’s med mal laws allow a patient to seek compensation for a wide range of losses, including medical costs for treatment, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. However, you must have evidence showing how your anesthesiologist breached the standard of care, and there are numerous legal requirements under the statute. Our Fort Myers anesthesia errors attorneys at Freidin Brown, P.A. will handle all essential tasks, such as:
- Conducting the pre-suit investigation and gathering evidence of medical negligence
- Working with medical experts to obtain a written opinion as required by law
- Filing an insurance claim
- Discussing settlement with the insurer in an attempt to settle
- Taking your case to court if the insurance company refuses to pay fair compensation for your losses
Set Up a Consultation with a Fort Myers Anesthesia Error Lawyer
A description of your legal options is useful, but this overview also demonstrates the importance of retaining skilled legal counsel. If you or a loved one suffered harm because of mistakes by an anesthesiologist, please contact Freidin Brown, P.A. today. We can schedule a free case review with an experienced Fort Myers anesthesia error attorney who will assess your circumstances and explain next steps.