Philip Freidin is the founder of Freidin Brown, P.A., and is a major leader in the South Florida legal community. He has tried cases in Miami, Florida, for over 45 years and has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients through multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements. He has tried more than 200 personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Phil is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law since 1989 and recertified twice. Board certification recognizes attorneys’ special knowledge, skills, and proficiency in various areas of law and professionalism, and ethics in practice.
Florida Governors and U.S. Senators have appointed him to serve on various Judicial Nominating Commissions. He currently serves on the Judicial Nominating Commission for the Southern District of Florida.
In addition to Phil’s successful trial record, The Best Lawyers in America has recognized him for his legal achievements ten years in a row. He is also past President of the Florida Justice Association, formerly known as The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, dedicated to strengthening and upholding Florida's civil justice system and protecting the rights of Florida's citizens and consumers.
Phil has been responsible for several cases that changed the law in Florida. Some of these cases include West v. Caterpillar, which made it easier for persons injured by defective products to recover for their injuries. Today, law students study this case all over the state. In Powell v. Prudential, Phil’s efforts made it less difficult for injured persons to sue insurance companies who do not negotiate in good faith. Lastly, in Goode v. Walt Disney World, Phil set a record for the highest verdict against Disney and solidified the responsibility that amusement parks have to their patrons to provide a safe environment.
Recognized as an expert in civil trial law, Phil has had many opportunities to lecture on personal injury litigation strategies in front of thousands of lawyers at continuing legal education programs. In addition to his legal practice, Phil is also extremely active in many legal and community organizations. His firm sponsors a scholarship program for disadvantaged youth going to college.
Some of Phil’s additional accomplishments include:
- Designation as a Board Certified Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocates
- Inclusion in the Martindale-Hubbell's Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Recognition as one of Florida’s top personal injury attorneys in the Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, Florida Trend's Legal Elite, and the South Florida Legal Guide
- Florida, 1969
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1970
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1970
American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1969
University of Florida
- B.D. - 1966
- West v. Caterpillar
- Goode v. Walt Disney World
- Harris v. P.T. Petrocorp
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Judicial Nominating Commission, Member
- Florida Justice Association, Member
- Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice's Task Force on Complex Litigation, Member
- Florida Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission, Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Member
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Miami-Dade Justice Association, Former Board of Directors
- Florida Bar Judicial, Former Chairman, Nominating Procedures Committee
- Florida Justice Association, Former President
- Florida Justice Association, Vice President
- Florida Justice Association, Treasurer
- Florida Justice Association, Secretary
- Supreme Court of Florida Task Force on Management of Complex Cases, Appointed Member, 2007
- Dade County's MADD Chapter, Member
- Governor Chiles' Task Force on Preventing Elderly Abuse, Member
- Chief Justice Barkett's 21st Century Planning Committee, Former Member
- State of Florida Legislature Elderly Long Term Care, Former Task Force Member
- Dade County Judicial Nominating Commission, Chairman
- Florida Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission, Vice Chairman
- The Florida Bar, Chairman, Grievance Committee
- Florida Justice Association, Board of Director
- Dade County's MADD Chapter, Board of Directors
- JNC - Southern District, Member