Fort Myers Failure to Diagnose Stroke Lawyer
Though there are many medical conditions that require prompt treatment, stroke is one where an accurate, timely diagnosis is absolutely critical for positive patient outcomes. Stroke is classified as a vascular event, so it relates to blood vessels. Specifically, stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is disrupted by a blockage or burst vessel. With both scenarios, parts of the brain can become damaged or die as the patient awaits treatment. Care cannot begin until diagnosis, putting the individual at risk of serious harm when health care providers make critical errors.
Stroke misdiagnosis falls under Florida medical malpractice laws, so you may have legal remedies. Our team at Freidin Brown, P.A. will assist in pursuing them to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses. Please contact us to set up a free consultation with a Fort Myers failure to diagnose stroke lawyer, and read on for some basics about your rights.
Important Facts About Stroke Misdiagnosis
One of the first and most critical points is what you need to prove to recover compensation. In a med mal case, you must show that you were injured because a health care provider failed to comply with the medical standard of care. Also, keep in mind the following:
- There are two common types of stroke. Ischemic stroke occurs when a clot blocks blood flow to the brain, while hemorrhagic stroke is bleeding in the brain
- Examples of failure to diagnose stroke include not conducting a physical or neurological exam and neglecting to order imaging tests, such as CT scan, MRI, or EKG
- The most effective treatment for ischemic stroke is Tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA), but it can only be administered within 4.5 hours of the onset of symptoms. Timing with diagnosis is critical
- Because it is a blood thinner, tPA should never be used to treat a hemorrhagic stroke. An accurate diagnosis is essential
- A lawsuit based upon failure to diagnose stroke must be filed within two years after discovery of the error or within four years if you did not discover it right away
How a Stroke Diagnosis Error Lawyer Can Help
Freidin Brown, P.A. will tackle the important legal tasks involved with your case, as there are strict legal requirements under the med mal statute. Our Fort Myers failure to diagnose stroke attorneys are prepared to:
- Conduct a pre-suit investigation to confirm that there are grounds to support your claim
- Work with medical experts
- File a claim with your doctor’s med mal insurance company
- Negotiate an agreement to settle your claim by agreement
- Pursue a lawsuit in court if the insurer refuses to pay fair compensation
Trust Your Case to a Fort Myers Failure to Diagnose Stroke Lawyer
There can be serious consequences when health care providers err in diagnosing stroke, and one of the most crucial is lost time for treatment. For more information on how we can help with the legal process, please contact Freidin Brown, P.A. We can schedule a complimentary case assessment with a Fort Myers failure to diagnose stroke attorney who will advise you on the details of med mal cases.