Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Florida Car Accident FAQs

After a motor vehicle accident, who will pay for your property damage and medical expenses? What happens if you are permanently incapacitated? What should you say to your insurance company? Should you get a second medical opinion? If you have been injured in an accident, we can help answer your questions and recover compensation for your losses. The following are questions that clients frequently ask our Florida car accident lawyers at Freidin Brown, P.A.

What should I say to the insurance companies after an accident?

You will need to report your accident to your own car insurance company. What you say, however, can make a difference in your case. Report the facts, but do not editorialize on what happened. State that an accident occurred, give your information and the other driver’s information, and answer all questions with facts. Do not discuss fault.

If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, decline to give a statement. Let them know that your lawyer will contact them. Also, if an lawyer or anyone else on an lawyer’s behalf approaches you at the hospital or your home, calls you, or sends you a letter in an attempt to have you sign up as a client, be sure to ask them to leave. It is unethical for an lawyer to reach out to you directly after your accident.

Should I accept the insurance company’s offer?

In most cases, an insurance company’s first offer to you is not its best offer. Insurance adjusters have been trained to lowball settlements in order to protect their companies’ bottom lines. Furthermore, if you have been injured, they will likely not account for all of your injuries. Before you accept an insurance company’s settlement offer, discuss your case with an lawyer. It will not cost you anything to sit down with us to review your options — our initial consultations are free, and we handle each case on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not owe us lawyer’s fees unless we recover money for you.

I have only minor injuries. Do I need to go to the doctor?

Yes. Even minor injuries can be signs of issues in the future (such as soft tissue injuries). In fact, it is common for injuries to appear weeks after an accident has occurred. No matter how you feel, visit the doctor and discuss all of the aches and pains that have appeared since your accident.

I don’t think I can work. How will I pay my bills?

If your injury prevents you from working, your personal injury settlement or verdict should include compensation for a percentage of your lost wages.

It has been a while since my accident. Can I still file a lawsuit?

You have a limited amount of time to file your car accident claim. This is called the “statute of limitations.” In Florida, you have four years to bring a claim, unless the accident caused a death and then the statute of limitations is two years. It is important, however, that you take action as soon as possible. Evidence does not last forever, especially in car accident cases, and the sooner you have a lawyer working for you, the better.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn