A 3-year-old girl from Hawaii passed away on Friday night after suffering major brain damage from a dental procedure last month.
The parents of the little girl are now suing the dentist, alleging negligence and dangerous conduct. The lawsuit also claims improper medications with incorrect dosages were administered to the girl on Dec. 3.
Finley Boyle was taken to the dentist in November by her mother, when she was told that her daughter needed six filings and four root canals. They returned in December to undergo the root canals.
The parents allege that Finley was sedated and left unmonitored for 26 minutes. The lawsuit also states that Finley suffered cardiac arrest during her dental procedure as a direct result of the medications administered to her. Finley's pediatric neurologist said MRIs showed the girl suffered severe brain damage and that she was in a "presistent vegatative state."
FDBR has experience dealing with dental malpractice, and other forms of medical malpractice cases.
Our firm has also established a reputation for achieving successful results on behalf of our medical malpractice clients, including:
- A $38 million jury verdict for twin boys who were rendered blind due to the defendant doctor's malpractice after they were born premature. Had the doctor properly screened and diagnosed the two infants, their sight could have been saved.
- A $12.7 million jury verdict for a 5-year-old child who sustained brain injury as a result of negligent care at Miami Children's Hospital
Unfortunately, children and the elderly may be among the patients most likely to experience serious injury or even death due to a medical mistake. Infant medication mistakes can quickly turn a joyous event like childbirth into a heartwrenching experience. Discovering that a loved one has been the victim of nursing home neglect or has developed painful bed sores because an assisted living facility did not attend to him or her properly can and should make you angry.
For more information, contact us.
Source: CNN, "Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure," Jan.