What Causes Birth Injury?
Our Florida Birth Injury Lawyers Explain
Put most simply, a birth injury is any trauma associated with being born. Birth injuries may be the result of complications during pregnancy, genetic disorders, negligence or medical malpractice.
Some pregnancies are higher risk than others and a birth injury may be more likely if:
- The baby is large
- The mother’s pelvis is small relative to the size of the baby’s head
- The baby is born prematurely
- The mother’s labor was difficult or prolonged
- The baby is born in a breech position
- The mother is expecting twins, triplets, etc.
If your newborn was diagnosed with a birth injury or you suspect that a mistake by your birthing team harmed your child, our Florida birth injury lawyers at Freidin Brown, P.A. welcome your call to discuss what happened.
We offer FREE consultations. Call us at 866-716-7292.
Medical Mistakes, Doctor Negligence, & Nurse Malpractice
You should be able to trust your birthing team to look out for your health as well as the health of your newborn when you begin labor and delivery. While some birth injuries may simply be the result of being born, others may be caused or made worse by the action or inaction of your doctor, your nurse or the hospital where you are delivering.
Medical mistakes or doctor negligence that can cause serious, permanent injury to your newborn include:
- Failing to recognize a high-risk pregnancy or anticipate complications related to labor and delivery
- Failing to monitor your baby’s fetal heart rate (FHR) or recognize signs of fetal distress
- Delaying a medically necessary cesarean section
- Misusing forceps or a vacuum extractor during delivery
- Inducing labor through inappropriate use of Pitocin
- Failing to detect umbilical cord complications such as prolapse
- Failing to screen for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
Your medical team is responsible for providing a safe environment for mothers and babies before, during and after childbirth. Complications that affect the life and health of the mother, such as infection, prolonged bleeding and improper use of anesthetics or epidurals, may also give rise to medical malpractice or, in the worst situations, wrongful death lawsuits.
Have Questions About Birth Injury & Your Rights? Contact Freidin Brown, P.A.
Contact our Florida birth injury lawyers at Freidin Brown, P.A. to schedule a complimentary consultation to discuss your legal options and your child’s legal right to compensation if a medical mistake or malpractice during birth caused serious, permanent injury.
Contact us today to discuss your legal needs.