A second person has died from bacterial meningitis after a missed diagnosis in South Florida.
Bryant De La Cruz died Tuesday morning just hours after being discharged from Baptist Hospital, after complaining of a headache, fever and pain all over his body. He was diagnosed with viral pharyngitis and told to take Tylenol.
Cruz, 25, died on his way back to the hospital the next morning.
This case is similar to the high school student, Christopher Valdes, who died last month after being misdiagnosed by a doctor at the Baptist Medical Plaza in Country Walk. Despite a family history of meningitis and his father asking that Valdes be tested for the disease, the teen was diagnosed with the flu and sent home. He later died at Jackson South.
Although not related to the recent fungal meningitis outbreak, bacterial meningitis can appear quickly, and symptoms can develop within 3-7 days. Symptoms include fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck and a rash. Bacterial meningitis is contagious.
Medical malpractice, also referred to as medical negligence, applies to doctors, hospitals, nurses and other health care professionals who fail to act reasonably or deviate from a reasonable standard of care that a similar medical professional would exercise under the same circumstances leading to injury or death of a patient.
For more information, please contact us.
Source: The Miami Herald, "Second man dies of bacterial meningitis in South Florida," Nov. 15, 2012.
The Miami Herald, "Meningitis a dÃ©jÃ vu nightmare for Coral Reef student's family," Oct. 15, 2012.